Friday, January 9, 2009

Got one thing right...the rest wrong...

I got one thing right about Macworld. Steve Jobs was a no-show.

I was pretty sure that if he looked anywhere near the way he did at the last WWDC, the stock would fall 5% just for spite.

So, I think I was right on that count. I was wrong on everything else.

No new displays, Mac Pros, no iPhone anything...

Nada. Zip. Zilch. The announcements were total buzz kill.

I will say this--Phil Schiller did an excellent job at taking the keynote helm. He had very hard shoes to fill and I think he did a fine job.

That said--two software announcements and a laptop speed bump? Ouch...

But then again...I have to take that back, too. Those were my first impressions when I read about the announcements, but when I watched them being demonstrated I was really impressed.

It was appropriate to show the software. The demo of the new iMovie '09 had me saying a few times "gee, I wish that was a feature in Final Cut..."

And iWork.com is great! The kind of collaboration that product will enable is huge--its a fantastic way to share and work on docs.

So, a mixed bag in all. Neat products were released, but nothing over-the-top and it was definitely a let-down to see Apple leave Macworld with a whimper, not a bang.

tl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

man....i've been waiting for the new mac pros for months!

anybody have any thoughts on when apple will release them? do you think they'll wait to release them with snow leopard to take advantage of "grand station".

thoughts??

Anonymous said...

Yes I was disappointed, although anything can happen between now and your Summer (my winter) just be the holidays. I was hoping for an updated MacPro and maybe Shake's replacement - oh well we can only dream.

But I suspect an iPhone Nano is still very close.